Skip to main content

A story only God could write.

A story only God could write.

Photos captured by the fabulous Kate Phelps Photography

In July, as Ben and I were grieving the loss of our third baby, I cried out to God to give me a sign that He would fulfill the deepest desires of my heart, and grant me motherhood. His voice was clear that day as He whispered the word “adoption” into our hearts, and we confidently pursued the path that he had perfectly laid before us. Ben didn’t want to try again, and I respected that. He couldn’t bear to see me hurt that deeply again, and he couldn’t imagine losing another child. For us, that door had simply closed, and that was ok. I vividly remember saying “God has closed the door for us to have biological babies, but He has opened the door for us to pursue adoption, and we couldn’t be more excited!” 

I can hear God laughing now. 

Rewind to July 16, 2020. Just 6 days after I was hospitalized for our third miscarriage. Ben and I were ready for something to change, and quite frankly, sick and tired of waiting. We jumped feet first into the adoption process, and God not only blessed it, He flung the door wide open and showered us with love and support from near and far! In just 2 weeks, we had orchestrated two hugely successful fundraisers, submitted our application to Faithful Adoption Consultants, and were fervently praying for the baby that was growing in our hearts. 

Little did we know; a baby was growing in my womb as well.

I used to think that people who “accidentally” conceived were a figment of the imagination. I mean, when you’re trying for a baby, you’re a crazy person. Your days are filled with ovulation strips, basal body temperature checks, fertility smoothies, conception yoga. Trust me, I have done ALL the things. The two-week wait is excruciating, and if you’re anything like me, you should consider buying stock in early detection pregnancy tests! So, you can imagine the day I just “didn’t feel quite right” and took the very last pregnancy test tucked in my bathroom drawer, was the day that God completely blew my socks off! 

On August 10, 2020, exactly one month after we said goodbye to our third baby and “called it quits,” I looked down in utter disbelief at two pink lines and dropped to my knees. 

It was all happening so fast, yet in slow motion. God was blessing me times two? How could this be? The first trimester of my biological pregnancy was also the first rounds of adoption background checks, agency applications, home study visits, and grant writing. My hands cramped from filling out mounds of paperwork as my body did the same, making space for the new little one inside. 


Telling Ben that we were adopting AND expecting was as magical as seeing him for the first time walking down the aisle. To say that we were shocked and slightly scared would be an understatement! Yes, we hoped for two babies, we wanted two babies, we already loved our two babies more than life itself, but given my track record, we were terrified to face devastation again. One thing was for sure, Ben and I never for a second doubted that this journey was the exact one God called us to pursue. Finding out I was pregnant was just the icing on the cake! Our hearts still desired to grow our family through adoption, we were now just grateful for the two separate gifts that God bestowed upon us to build our family.




Keeping this pregnancy a secret thus far has been the sweetest time of worship and healing for us. 5 solid months where all Ben and I could do was try to fathom God’s love and faithfulness to us. His ways are better than anything that we could ever imagined, and the story of our road to parenthood will be a glorious unfolding of His love. He never left our side, and the blessings He was preparing for us were greater than anything we could have ever imagined. 


So here I am, still vomiting well into my second trimester and injecting myself twice daily with blood thinners, yet feeling so incredibly thankful for the opportunity to be a mom. My biological son and my child through adoption are both intensely loved, and have been from the moment God placed them in our hearts.  Their value stems from their very existence, not their biological roots. My love for them is no different at all, because they were both perfectly chosen to be mine. 



Our celebration of God’s faithfulness to us does not go without acknowledging the pain and heartache that so many of you are experiencing in your time of loss and waiting. We know that pain, and we weep with you and pray for you as you patiently wait for God to grant you your miracle. Thankfully, because of Jesus’ resurrection, God is the one who has the final word, not us. The promise that you are waiting for may not have come at the time you so desperately wanted it to, but that promise is still going to come. Christ died so that death and grief and heartache don’t get the final word, He does. Cling to Him, because He will cling to you, and come through for you! When your circumstances make you feel like God has forgotten you or abandoned you, remember that God does His work in His time.


Love to you, 


Mary Alexia 



Comments

  1. I am so happy for you both. I am friends with Ben at work and I went to nursing school with Tawni Jehnke in Nashville. Prayers of Thanksgiving to you all. From Ashley Edge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We are truly amazed at God's faithfulness to us! You know two incredible people that I am crazy about! Matt Jehnke (her husband) was one of my best friend's growing up, and the mission trip we took to Haiti that first turned our hearts towards adoption, was with them! Such a small world!

      Delete
  2. I love these cool connections only God can do. Mary Alexia-Ashley adores Ben and speaks so highly of him-which is no surprise. If you’ve met Ben, you instantly gravitate towards him. And YOU are no different Mary Alexia. Two one of a kind people who always bring a smile to my face when I think about them. I’m so blessed God would allow me to be friends with such awesome people. Couples like you are few and far between. From your authenticity, to your hearts of gold and ability to connect with people so well...you are going to raise some outstanding children. I love when you wrote “my love for them is no different at all.” We know children are made by God and belong to Him and we just get the honor to parent them this side of heaven. You’ve been chosen for these 2 children and I want a front seat to watching them grow up and seeing who they turn out to be with a gorgeous mama like you and a fun (quite hilarious in my opinion) dad like Ben. This news has MADE my 2020 and so many others I’m sure. I can’t imagine how many people are having to grab tissues hearing this news.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2020

                                      2020 Top Nine     Instagram’s infamous highlight recap of the “top nine” moments of your previous year is a post-Christmas treat that all social media fans await. As my “top nine” generated, the spinning wheel before me caused my mind to spin as well, flashing back to all that 2020 was, and all that it wasn’t. The good, the bad, the grief, the gratitude, the heartbreak, and the hope. What I wasn’t expecting when my “top nine” flashed upon the screen was to see so many highlight photos sandwiched between so many heartbreaks. 2020 started off with a bang! A fresh new start and a sweet baby boy on the way. We announced to the world the joyous news of our long-awaited pregnancy on January 17, 2020, only to say goodbye to that sweet miracle two weeks later. I took some much-needed time away from social media from the day we lost our son until the end of May, when Ben and I celebrated our 6 th year of marriage in our beloved pop-up camper at the lake. Th

Motherhood

I’m realizing now that it’s been quite some time since I’ve updated my   blog . Although I’ve continued to write, I’ve been reluctant to share as vulnerably as I once did, as life has been spinning wildly in new and uncertain directions. 2021 was the most beautiful blur of a year. I gained the title of “mother” to the most precious child that I can wrap my arms around Earthside, and with that, welcomed a new identity and layer of myself that I'm still learning to this day.  April 1, 2021 .  April Fool’s Day.  You arrived in true Wells fashion, and were  everything my heart needed, and nothing it deserved.  Wells Everett Howard, born April 1, 2021. The moment you took your first breath, my heart finally felt at peace.   The first day of your life, sweet Wells, was the best day of mine. I mean, after the rollercoaster of a ride we have been on to get you here, why wouldn’t God allow you to be born on such a quintessential holiday. The joke was on us. God gave us the most perfect litt