Skip to main content

I'll hold you in Heaven one day

Happy birthday in heaven, my precious boy. 

It’s hard to believe that 9 months ago today I looked down at that positive pregnancy test in utter disbelief that I was going to be a mother. My entire life changed the instant the word “pregnant” appeared before my eyes. The most incredible gift was growing inside of me, and in the summer, I’d get to meet you for the first time. 

My heart still aches when I think of how long I may have to wait to see your face. I long for Heaven more than I ever dreamt I would, because you and your siblings are waiting for me there. I truly believe that God has given me glimpses of you in my dreams, and the nights I get to spend with you are nights that I could sleep forever. Your hair is jet black and your eyes take my breath away. Piercing blue and twinkly, squinting up in the most adorable way when you smile. You are real. You are right there. I can feel you, and smell you, and kiss you, and hold you. Every single dream you are wearing the blue corduroy lamb playsuit that I simply had to have the day we found out you were a boy. I’ll know exactly what you’ll be wearing the day I meet you on those streets of gold, and I can’t wait to scoop you up for the first time.  

Every inch of my body aches for you to be with me again. Some days it's still difficult to process the shock that you were there, and then you weren’t anymore. When I think back to the day we lost you, it feels like life is in slow motion; like I’m wandering around a nightmare that I can’t seem to awaken from. I see Ben walking into the lobby of the doctor’s office, the ultrasound tech’s face as she moved the wand around trying to find your heartbeat, your body projected on the ultrasound screen quiet and motionless. Your heart stopped beating that day, and mine did too.  

Miscarriage takes everything. I didn’t just lose our baby boy. I lost hearing him coo for the first time, and seeing his first steps. I lost watching his chubby fingers reach up for me, and wrapping those fingers around a baseball bat as his dad taught him how to play. I lost Christmas mornings, loose teeth, first days of school. I lost a lifetime with him. An entire lifetime. 

It’s difficult to put into words the amount of loneliness you feel when you lose a child. The capacity that your heart hurts missing someone that you never even met. That’s why I am so thankful for the dreams...the brief peeks of you. I get to see a glimpse of the person that you would have become, and it is more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. You feel so real, because you are so real. Carrying you for the entirety of your life changed my life forever. The night I delivered your lifeless body, I was reminded at just how precious life is. God stitched you together in my womb and made you absolutely perfect. Seeing your tiny fingers and toes made your life feel even more real to me, and reminded me that even though I didn’t get to love you Earthside, I can look forward to spending eternity with you and your precious siblings. It brings me comfort knowing that you aren’t alone in heaven, and that our other angel babies were there to greet you when you entered the gates. My three precious babies, oh how I prayed for you and love you so. A part of me is missing without you all here, but I know that through this pain and heartbreak, God is still good and He will hold you in His arms until we meet again.    

                 

A small white dogwood tree is what we planted to honor and remember you. I don’t think I will ever erase the image from my mind of your dad placing the tiny prayer box into the ground and brushing dirt overtop. A prayer box we received on our wedding day with joyful scriptures full of hope from all of the people we love. It's funny when we said those vows, we never saw this chapter of our lives coming. We promised to love each other through good times and bad, in sickness and health, for better and for worse and we keep promising that every single day. To know that now the person I love more than my own self is buried inside of that box is heartbreaking, yet such a blessing. I got to see him and hold him, and I have the promise of spending eternity with him one day. You never know what's around the next corner of life, but through every joy and every pain, God remains. 

August 15th was the day I looked forward to, not just in 2020, but for the rest of my life. Loving and celebrating you forever. I choose to celebrate this day anyway, because why wouldn’t I celebrate someone so special who had such an impact on my life in such a short time? The fact is, our children change us, whether they live or not, and you changed me for the better. So today I celebrate you, my sweet son. Thank you for making me a mother and for truly showing me what love is. Until we meet, I will love you a lifetime.


"I will carry you
While your heart beats here
Long beyond the empty cradle
Through the coming years
I will carry you
All your life
And I will praise the One Who's chosen Me
To carry you"


-I Will Carry You by Selah 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A story only God could write.

A story only God could write. Photos captured by the fabulous Kate Phelps Photography In July, as Ben and I were grieving the loss of our third baby, I cried out to God to give me a sign that He would fulfill the deepest desires of my heart, and grant me motherhood. His voice was clear that day as He whispered the word “adoption” into our hearts, and we confidently pursued the path that he had perfectly laid before us. Ben didn’t want to try again, and I respected that. He couldn’t bear to see me hurt that deeply again, and he couldn’t imagine losing another child. For us, that door had simply closed, and that was ok. I vividly remember saying “God has closed the door for us to have biological babies, but He has opened the door for us to pursue adoption, and we couldn’t be more excited!”  I can hear God laughing now.  Rewind to July 16, 2020. Just 6 days after I was hospitalized for our third miscarriage. Ben and I were ready for something to change, and quite frankly, sick and tired o

2020

                                      2020 Top Nine     Instagram’s infamous highlight recap of the “top nine” moments of your previous year is a post-Christmas treat that all social media fans await. As my “top nine” generated, the spinning wheel before me caused my mind to spin as well, flashing back to all that 2020 was, and all that it wasn’t. The good, the bad, the grief, the gratitude, the heartbreak, and the hope. What I wasn’t expecting when my “top nine” flashed upon the screen was to see so many highlight photos sandwiched between so many heartbreaks. 2020 started off with a bang! A fresh new start and a sweet baby boy on the way. We announced to the world the joyous news of our long-awaited pregnancy on January 17, 2020, only to say goodbye to that sweet miracle two weeks later. I took some much-needed time away from social media from the day we lost our son until the end of May, when Ben and I celebrated our 6 th year of marriage in our beloved pop-up camper at the lake. Th

Motherhood

I’m realizing now that it’s been quite some time since I’ve updated my   blog . Although I’ve continued to write, I’ve been reluctant to share as vulnerably as I once did, as life has been spinning wildly in new and uncertain directions. 2021 was the most beautiful blur of a year. I gained the title of “mother” to the most precious child that I can wrap my arms around Earthside, and with that, welcomed a new identity and layer of myself that I'm still learning to this day.  April 1, 2021 .  April Fool’s Day.  You arrived in true Wells fashion, and were  everything my heart needed, and nothing it deserved.  Wells Everett Howard, born April 1, 2021. The moment you took your first breath, my heart finally felt at peace.   The first day of your life, sweet Wells, was the best day of mine. I mean, after the rollercoaster of a ride we have been on to get you here, why wouldn’t God allow you to be born on such a quintessential holiday. The joke was on us. God gave us the most perfect litt