Skip to main content

Like a good neighbor, S. Stratford's there!

The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these. Mark 12:31

When Ben and I decided to move, back in the fall, we had one specific vision in mind. A house in the country, where we could retreat and get away from it all. We listed our home, and sold it within 12 hours, giving us two weeks’ contingency to find our perfect little spot. We searched every bit of that two weeks, only to be disappointed that our dream of moving outside of the city walls wouldn’t come true. I was pregnant with our first baby, and it was the final week of our desperate house hunting venture. My craving for a change of scenery was stronger than my cravings for bread and butter pickles and avocado; and with every home we considered, we imagined the nursery, the playroom, the whole bit of preparing for parenthood. I longed for a fresh start, a new chapter. On the twelfth day of our fourteen day stretch, our realtor told us to “trust her” and just take a look at this little house in town, only a mile from our previous one, because it checked all of the boxes for us. Halfheartedly, we turned the key. Then shortly after, we called it home.

 

It amazes me how God works, and how even in the midst of chaos, He is in control and His hand is guiding every situation. Our home wasn’t what we initially sought out, but now our love for it and for the people surrounding it is nothing short of miraculous. I couldn’t see it then, but looking back, it has been a glorious unfolding. 

 

When I lost our first two babies, our doorstep was flooded with food, flowers, and the sweetest words of encouragement. 

When I worked from home for 3 months during quarantine, my anxiety and depression was soothed by long conversations and walks around our neighborhood loop with new faces that I now call cherished friendships.

When we were in the hospital fighting for our third baby, our neighbors were tending to our dogs and making sure our home was perfect for our return.

When we announced our adoption, they rejoiced with us, hugged us, and literally pulled up their garage doors and their shirt sleeves in an effort to make our dreams come true. 

 

God is good, and His plan and His timing are best, even when we can’t see it.   

When I think of our support system and start to compare mine to others, I quickly realize that although my support may look different, it is not any less exceptional. Our friends, our community, our church, our fellow adoptive parents, our precious S. Stratford Dr….they are our family. They are our support. Not a single one of them has asked if we needed help, they see the need, and then fulfill it. (Some with a fresh loaf of peach bread and sweet tea in hand.) 

           

Life is kind of like a party. You invite a lot of people, some leave early, some stay all night, some laugh with you, some laugh at you, and some show up late. But in the end after the fun, there are a few who stay to help you clean up the mess. And most of the time, they aren’t even the ones who made the mess. These people are the ones who matter most.”


                  

                                          

Here’s to the people in our lives that have gone above and beyond for us and sweet baby Howard! We love you, and we are so thankful!                                                                                                                                       

God is doing just what He had promised us, and through Him, we knocked this weekend's yardsale OUT of the park! We brought in $4,421.38 to help fund our adoption, and made so many fun memories along the way! I can't wait to look back on these crazy, chaotic weekends and tell our baby of the enormous love that everyone already had for them. 

         

We covet your prayers, your donations, and your presence! Thank you for being part of our journey and for all of the ways you have shown love to us! Our final yardsale will be Labor Day weekend (September 4/5) so get ready, yal! I pray it's the biggest, best one yet! 


Much love,


Mary Alexia 

 

 


Comments

  1. We could use some more of your”stuff” that is not adding to your life! Having your former treasures gives the Howards a chance to resale and thus earn money for this ADOPTION JOURNEY! The people shopping seem to be happy for their new treasures!!! THANKFUL FOR THE MANY FAMILIES THAT DONATED!
    If you have any former treasures that we can pick up, call Mary Alexia or call us at 825-339-8095 or drop off at the Howards’ home!! Ben and Mary Alexia appreciate all the HELP!
    Elizabeth and Tom Rhoads

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A story only God could write.

A story only God could write. Photos captured by the fabulous Kate Phelps Photography In July, as Ben and I were grieving the loss of our third baby, I cried out to God to give me a sign that He would fulfill the deepest desires of my heart, and grant me motherhood. His voice was clear that day as He whispered the word “adoption” into our hearts, and we confidently pursued the path that he had perfectly laid before us. Ben didn’t want to try again, and I respected that. He couldn’t bear to see me hurt that deeply again, and he couldn’t imagine losing another child. For us, that door had simply closed, and that was ok. I vividly remember saying “God has closed the door for us to have biological babies, but He has opened the door for us to pursue adoption, and we couldn’t be more excited!”  I can hear God laughing now.  Rewind to July 16, 2020. Just 6 days after I was hospitalized for our third miscarriage. Ben and I were ready for something to change, and quite frankly, sick and tired o

2020

                                      2020 Top Nine     Instagram’s infamous highlight recap of the “top nine” moments of your previous year is a post-Christmas treat that all social media fans await. As my “top nine” generated, the spinning wheel before me caused my mind to spin as well, flashing back to all that 2020 was, and all that it wasn’t. The good, the bad, the grief, the gratitude, the heartbreak, and the hope. What I wasn’t expecting when my “top nine” flashed upon the screen was to see so many highlight photos sandwiched between so many heartbreaks. 2020 started off with a bang! A fresh new start and a sweet baby boy on the way. We announced to the world the joyous news of our long-awaited pregnancy on January 17, 2020, only to say goodbye to that sweet miracle two weeks later. I took some much-needed time away from social media from the day we lost our son until the end of May, when Ben and I celebrated our 6 th year of marriage in our beloved pop-up camper at the lake. Th

Motherhood

I’m realizing now that it’s been quite some time since I’ve updated my   blog . Although I’ve continued to write, I’ve been reluctant to share as vulnerably as I once did, as life has been spinning wildly in new and uncertain directions. 2021 was the most beautiful blur of a year. I gained the title of “mother” to the most precious child that I can wrap my arms around Earthside, and with that, welcomed a new identity and layer of myself that I'm still learning to this day.  April 1, 2021 .  April Fool’s Day.  You arrived in true Wells fashion, and were  everything my heart needed, and nothing it deserved.  Wells Everett Howard, born April 1, 2021. The moment you took your first breath, my heart finally felt at peace.   The first day of your life, sweet Wells, was the best day of mine. I mean, after the rollercoaster of a ride we have been on to get you here, why wouldn’t God allow you to be born on such a quintessential holiday. The joke was on us. God gave us the most perfect litt